Monday, July 11, 2011

Homemade Baby Food? (07/11/11)

Ever since registering at Babies R Us and Target I've been playing with the idea of making homemade baby food. I can't get over spending $0.70 - $1.25/jar when you can easily make it for way cheaper! I can get a bag of fresh baby carrots for $1.99 and that'll make atleast 15 servings - easy! Or I can get a bag of frozen peas for $1.99! It's almost a no brainer. I'm just worried about being able to fit making a batch of fresh pureed peas to last the week in my new busy first time Mom life style.

Here's some pros and cons:
Pros - No weird chemicals, can make custom blends for baby, cheaper, it'll taste/smell better, instead of adding water to thin it out - I can add breastmilk for added nutrition, can make original flavors, can make large batches and freeze them
Cons - Inconvenience, can get messy, can get time consuming

As you can see the pros outweigh the cons. I've been doing some research and I might bite the bullet and purchase a Baby Bullet at $79.92 including shipping. It includes a spatula, batchbowl, 2 short cups, power base, milling blade, baby blend blade, pocket nutritionist book, user manual and cookbook, 2 stay-fresh resealable lids, batch try, 6 date-dial storage cups and storage tray. I'm also looking at the Beaba Babycook Baby Food Maker at $166.45 including shipping. It includes a 2.5 cup bowl, cooking basket, spatula and recipe booklet.


Not too shabby and it's fairly easy!

Step 1. Wash, peel and pit (if needed).
Step 2. Steam.
Step 3. Puree/blend.
Step 4. Store and freeze.

Resources: wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com and weelicious.com.

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment